Saturday, May 26, 2012

Welcome to my new gluten free recipe blog

 Hi my name is Samantha, but my friends call me Sam. A select few call me Sammy so that one is off limits. I have three brothers, the best boyfriend ever, and a silly cat named Fandango, renamed Kitten. This is my first time blogging, so be gentle. I'm gonna bring you into my world of gluten free (and my attempts at being migraine free) and share some recipes while I'm at it.

 I've been sensitive to gluten for a very long time. But it wasn't until my mother found out that she was allergic to wheat (oat, corn, and white potato too) that I thought I may have some issues with wheat myself. Two of my brothers are on the autism spectrum and I heard those letters GFCF get thrown around a lot. People have called it a "cure." I thought maybe, just maybe this could work for migraines too. I'm still working on the CF part though. It's hard to cut casein out completely too when migraines limit even more food choices, like CHOCOLATE. Sad face.

 Last year I told my neurologist, who I'd been seeing since about 2006, that I feel like I get migraines when I have wheat. She said that it was highly unlikely. I did not agree. If anyone knows my issues it's ME, and perhaps my boyfriend. So, at my mother's behest, I began to cut wheat out of my diet.

 My mom had been gluten free for a while, and I hate to admit it, I made fun of her a LOT. Now that I've eaten my crow, without any wheat of course, I feel SO much better. Gluten free is not a fad, it's a way of life. While I may not be celiac, I know that a lot of my health issues are caused by gluten.

 I've been gluten free since March 2011 and believe me it's been no fun and games. It is hard, but not impossible. We just have to get awareness out there more. I'm gonna do my part and share with you my thoughts and recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment