Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Boyfriend's Teriyaki and Ranch Portabella Sandwiches

 This recipe is near and dear to my heart. My boyfriend made it the first time I visited his place. It also was one of those moments in the beginning of a relationship where you realize this one is the one for me, no doubt about it. A man that can cook, and loves mushrooms! I'm in love for the long run. Little did I know that this is one of about three recipes the man can cook without asking me a question. Oh well I guess I'll keep him. He puts up with all my nonsense, so I really have to keep him.
 This is a seemingly random set of ingredients, I like to call it Pittsburgh random. I have no idea how bf came up with this, honestly. I'll have to ask him sometime.
 The sandwich, in my case lettuce wrap, consists of gluten free teriyaki marinated portabella mushrooms, swiss lace cheese, french fries, and homemade ranch dressing. I can only have homemade ranch dressing, as pretty much every commercial ranch has MSG, a major migraine trigger. (My favorite ranch recipe is from Allrecipes. If you click on ranch dressing at the bottom there's a link to the recipe.) The teriyaki and ranch combo sounds strange, but it is fantastic. It's a great contrast with creamy and tangy flavors.
 You'll want to start with marinating the sliced portabellas. My boyfriend likes to get the pre-sliced portabellas, the ones that come with a sauce packet, but we don't use the sauce. You'll want to marinate the portabellas for 6 hours but not more than 24 hours in the gluten free teriyaki sauce.
you can use a resealable plastic bag, I ran out this time of course

 After the portabellas are done marinating, you'll want to get your oven ready for the french fries. Once the fries are in the oven, start cooking the portabellas. Boyfriend is very specific when it comes to cooking the bellas. Grab a slice with tongs and lay it on a hot skillet. You want to saute the bellas individually, flipping them like they're chicken tenders or something. It does help to ensure that the portabellas don't overcook.
He's so cute when he cooks :)
This is what they look like when they are done

 When the portabellas are all cooked and the french fries are done, it is time to assemble the sandwich. Boyfriend insists on putting ranch dressing on both sides of the bread. Since I'm using a lettuce wrap, I just put it on the top. Put a slice of swiss lace down, the portabellas next, french fries after that, and voila! Yummy yummy in your tummy!
your mouth should be watering by now

 

see it IS possible to wrap that lettuce

Boyfriend's Teriyaki and Ranch Portabella Sandwiches

Ingredients

  • 1 10 oz bottle gluten free teriyaki sauce
  • 3 7oz packages sliced portabella mushrooms
  • 1 lb. frozen french fries
  • 1/3 cup ranch dressing, or to taste
  • 1/2 lb swiss lace cheese, or to taste
  • 4 hoagie rolls or 4 iceberg lettuce leaves, whole

Directions

  1. Place the portabellas in a gallon size resealable plastic bag. Pour teriyaki sauce over portabellas in bag. Place in refrigerator to marinate 6 hours to overnight.
  2. Preheat oven per directions on bag of frozen fries. Bake fries according to bag's directions.
  3. While fries are baking, heat skillet on med-hi heat. Place individual slices of portabellas in skillet. Cook 2 to 3 min on each side or just until tender. Remove from pan.
  4. To assemble sanwiches, spread 1 to 2 TB ranch, or to taste, on both sides of roll or lettuce wrap. Place one slice of swiss on the bottom. Place approx. 3 to 5 slices of portabellas on top of the swiss. Finish with about 6 to 8 french fries, or to taste. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment