Friday, June 22, 2012

Red Enchilada Sauce

 I love enchiladas. What I hate? That stupid red enchilada sauce you get from a can. It just tastes bad to me. And of course I have to make sure there's no bad stuff in it like gluten or MSG. In addition, my boyfriend can't tolerate bell peppers, so we have to be on the look out for those as well. You know what? I'm tired of reading all these labels just to be mad at the gross sauce anyway. So, I am going to make my own. This has become a mantra for me.
 This recipe is pretty easy. Just saute garlic, and shallot; add spices; add tomato sauce, salsa, and chicken broth. Then huzzah! A yummy enchilada sauce. It may not be entirely authentic, but it's darn good.
spicey!

Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon minced shallot
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon dried parsley
  • 1/4 cup salsa, blended smooth in a blender
  • 1 (6 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken broth

Directions

  1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and shallot and saute for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the oregano, chili powder, basil, ground black pepper, salt, cumin, parsley, salsa and tomato sauce.
  2. Mix together and then stir in the chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment