Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Egg-based Gluten Free Hot Dog Buns

Homemade chili cheese dog, it's heaven in a bun

Just in time for holiday barbeques and grill outs is this hot dog bun recipe I've been working on. I got it from the Gluten Free Hub.
 Gluten free buns from the store are super expensive, and the ones I tried are so dense they're borderline dry. With that being said, I thought I'd give homemade hot dog buns a try. These ones are spongy, and not dry at all.
mini loaf pans end up being the perfect bun size

 My version of the GF Hub's recipe cuts way back on the sugar. With it made as originally written, it comes out super sweet which is kinda off-putting (to me) in a savory bun. I've been playing around with this recipe because the buns keep sinking in the middle, which may be because I cut back on the sugar. I haven't completely perfected the recipe, but it satisfies my craving for a hot dog in a mostly suitable bun. I'll try with xantham gum next time, making sure my baking powder is completely mixed in, unlike last time.

my attempt at spiral hot dogs

Egg-based Gluten Free Hot Dog Buns

  • 4 mini loaf pans 
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 tsp. water
  • 3 tsp. sugar
  • pinch salt
  • 1/2 cup potato starch
  • 4 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano or Italian seasoning (optional)
  • sesame seeds (optional)
Preheat your oven to 350° F. Grease pans with cooking spray. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, water, sugar, and salt. Mix in the potato starch and oregano (the oregano helps mask the residual egg flavor, and adds a nice spice to the bun). Make sure the starch is completely mixed in before adding the baking powder. Whisk in the baking powder, quickly to make sure there are no lumps, but do not overmix. Working quickly, distribute the mixture evenly among four mini loaf pans. If using sesame seeds, sprinkle them on before placing in oven. Bake the mini loaf pans for 16-20 minutes in the oven, or until the tops are golden brown.

2 comments:

  1. Do you think I could substitute Egg Whites for the egg, if I have an egg allergy? These look yummy! thanks for the great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's worth a shot. I'd probably do half the recipe with 4 egg whites to experiment. I wonder how the flax seed meal trick would do. Let me know how it works out

    ReplyDelete