Saturday, July 21, 2012

Gluten Free Molten Lava Cakes

 I saw my favorite girl chef Anne Burrell making some totally mouth-watering molten lava cakes. I thought to myself, I can totally make these gluten free. The trick for me? Making them chocolate free, as chocolate causes migraines. I can have white chocolate though, so I figured I would give it a shot. And I am so glad I did.
 I altered Anne's recipe a bit, but not by a lot. I used white chocolate, with some green colored melts that I had left over from some candy making, instead of semisweet chips. And of course I used gluten free flour instead of the evil wheat flour. I think it turned out well, and cured my chocolate craving at the time. It is VERY rich, so it's not going to be an everyday thing. It is good for when you get a serious craving.
 First you'll want to spread melted butter into your ramekins, or spray with canola oil like I did. I did not have ramekins, so I used ovenproof custard cups. The cakes were a little difficult to get out in one piece, so if you have the ramekins use them for sure. Then pour sugar into the ramekin, coating every inch. This "helps" keep them from sticking, but it also makes a tasty, crunchy outer crust.

 Then you'll want to melt your chocolate with some butter. I used a heat-proof bowl and put it over simmering water on the stove. Once melted take off the heat and set aside briefly.
 Once your chocolate is melted beat your eggs, egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Beat until the color is a pale yellow and thick. Like this:
 Next you'll want to gently combine the melted chocolate with your egg mixture, followed by your gluten free flour mix. Then you'll want to pour your batter into your sugared ramekins/ custard cups.
Yes it's green, no it's not mint flavored
 Bake in the oven and then you're in for a treat.
a bit lopsided, but still delicious


 I attempted to take a picture of this molten cake in all its glory, but as stated previously I couldn't get them out of the cups in one piece. But I will leave you with this picture.
not quite molten, but still darn good with strawberries :)

Chef Anne and CrazyGlutenFreeLady's Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes

Ingredients

  • 1 stick unsalted butter
  • Cooking Spray
  • Granulated sugar, for the ramekins
  • 1/2 (6-ounce) bag white chocolate chips
  • 3 eggs
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, plus a little more for dusting
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup gluten free flour blend with starches
  • Sliced strawberries, optional
  • Special equipment: 6 ramekins or oven proof custard cups

Directions

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Spray the inside of 6 ramekins or oven proof custard cups with cooking spray. Coat the inside of each ramekin with granulated sugar. Reserve.

Put the stick of butter and chocolate chips in a large mixing bowl. Set the bowl on a saucepan filled with about 1-inch of boiling water. Be sure that the bowl is not touching the water. Gently stir the butter and the chocolate together until melted and the mixture is smooth. Turn off the heat and reserve.

Combine the eggs, yolks, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer. (This can also be done with a hand beater.) Beat the egg mixture until it doubles in size, and gets very thick and very pale.

Gently whisk the melted chocolate and butter into the egg mixture. Remove the bowl from the mixer and gently stir in the flour. Pour the batter into the prepared ramekins. Arrange the ramekins on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 14 to 15 minutes. Remove the cakes from the oven and let rest for 3 to 4 minutes.

Remove the cakes from the ramekins, and arrange them on individual serving plates garnished with slices of strawberries. Refrigerate any leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment